The legacy of supporting older Jewish adults in Greater Cincinnati, began in 1883 and continues today as the Jewish Home of Cincinnati.
Our community was proud and fortunate to have two Jewish nursing homes, Glen Manor, the Home for the Jewish Aged, established by the Reform Jewish community in 1883, and the Orthodox Jewish Home, founded in 1906 to serve the Orthodox community. In 1992, history was made when the two organizations merged to create the Jewish Home of Cincinnati, Inc., doing business as Cedar Village. The Orthodox Jewish Home had purchased 80 acres in Mason, Ohio for a future facility, and that land became the site of Cedar Village.
Following a successful fundraising campaign led by the community’s philanthropic trail blazers, on March 16, 1997 history was made when 185 residents from Glen Manor and the Orthodox Jewish Home moved from Bond Hill to their new home in Mason, Cedar Village. Cedar Village included two places of worship to serve its population, a Reform temple and an Orthodox synagogue. The Friends of Cedar Village was established in 1997 as the auxiliary of Cedar Village.This group of caring volunteers was dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for all Cedar Village residents.
The mission of Cedar Village, just as it was for its two predecessor organizations, was to serve Greater Cincinnati’s Jewish elderly with dignity and respect, according to the fifth commandment, “Honor thy father and thy mother.”
The legacy of supporting older Jewish adults in Greater Cincinnati, began in 1883 and continues today as the Jewish Home of Cincinnati. Although as of 2018, the Jewish Home of Cincinnati no longer owns the Cedar Village building (now called Majestic Care at Cedar Village), the Jewish Home of Cincinnati is committed to serve and impact Cincinnati area Jewish seniors wherever they reside. Together, we stand on the shoulders of the generations of inspirational leaders of Glen Manor, the Orthodox Jewish Home, and Majestic Care at Cedar Village.